Thursday, September 10, 2015

Life at zero knots (at least as far as the boat is concerned)

So we encountered another delay in our travel plans today.  Here is a brief recap of our situation.
The day has been another blur, no pun intended....
Last night I (Tom) experienced large "floaters" and "waves of dots" in my right eye vision.  I called my opthamologist and he said it was likely the start of a vitreous detachment and I should see an opthamologist in the morning.  So I called Blue Cross for a reference and rented an Enterprise car for today.  Fast forward.... I actually suffered a retinal tear (not a detachment) along with the vitreous detachment and had laser surgery at about 4PM this afternoon. The doctor did see some leakage of gel into the "hole" as he fixed the area, so I have to go back to the doctor on Monday for a check up and I need to monitor vision, etc for a few days.  Given I do not want to be stranded without transportation in case there are complications we decided to keep the car. 
My nurse has been driving me around and taking good care of me.  She is an amazing person and I love her so much.   Thank you Julie!  I have no restrictions other than the follow up appointment and we pray the surgery was successful.
So we will be in Portage IN at Marina Shores until after this Monday  appointment.  Hopefully we enter the river system on Tuesday (pending good Lake Michigan travel weather)...and a good prognosis on the laser repair.
We still look forward to really starting our grand adventure and are praying for a good doctor appointment on Monday.
So if you are in the area, give us a call and stop by, we are just "killing time" at zero knots....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my😔
So sorry to hear. Tom, you take care of yourself. I know you are in good hands.

Unknown said...

Wow what next? Praying you heal up fast.
Keith

bnick said...

Darn....but so glad you were able to get it taken care of. Eyesight is critical to your travel plans!

Sum Escape said...

Thank you to all. Follow up appointment on Monday. Hopefully a green light to continue our trip. Sort of getting used to occluded vision with all the floaters, but thankful it was not a retinal detachment which would have been much more serious and likely would have ended our trip plans for this year.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about you Tom. Hope you are resting. We will be praying that you get good news on Monday and that you will be able to leave.

captnbutch said...

Omg Tom! You have THE bad luck flowing through your veins right now. Don't worry, it's just a little test before the new life begins. It's gonna be great.

Contributors